Posted: Jan 30, 2018
WATERVILLE, Maine -- Cam MacDonald scored a pair of goals and Justin Grillo finished with three assists for the Colby College men's hockey team in a 5-1 non-conference victory over University of Southern Maine on Tuesday at Alfond Rink.
The Mules improve to 10-8 overall heading into Friday's road game against Hamilton College at 7 p.m. The Huskies, who play host to Norwich University on Friday at 7 p.m., drop to 3-14-4 overall.
* The Mules got off to a good start with three goals in the opening period. Joe Schuler redirected a shot from a blast by Andrew Reis from the left post at 4:53. Brendan Murphy had the secondary assist.
* MacDonald scored his first goal after a turnover near center ice by the Huskies. Mark Leprine (pictured) managed to push a puck forward to Grillo, who found a wide open MacDonald in the middle for the score at 8:09.
* MacDonald scored his team-best 11th goal of the season at 10:29 for a 3-0 margin. Grillo found MacDonald with a cross ice pass, but he partially fanned on his initial shot. MacDonald, though, recovered quickly and stuffed the loose puck in the goal. Robert Cerepak had the secondary assist.
* The Huskies got back in the game at 15:09 of the second period. Adam Papayoanou had a long rush toward the goal on the play. He appeared to lose control of the puck, but Mark Tomaschek was right in front to score from point-blank range. Brock Padgham had the second assist.
* The Mules thwarted any chance of a comeback when Nick O'Connor scored his eighth of the season at 18:27 of the second period. Kienan Scott sent in Mario Benicky on a breakaway. USM goaltender Anthony D'Aloisio made the save on Benicky only to have O'Connor break in for the rebound goal.
* The Mules added their fifth goal when Grillo picked up his third assist of the night on Michael Rudolf's goal at 8:17 of the third period. MacDonald had the secondary assist for a three-point night.
By the numbers
* Colby goaltender Sean Lawrence stopped 24 shots for the victory.
* D'Aloisio had a great effort in goal, stopping many difficult shots among his 41 saves.
* The two teams combined for 15 penalties.