Men's lacrosse holds third-ranked Tufts to 10 goals in tight loss

WATERVILLE, Maine -- The Colby College men's lacrosse team had a 7-3 scoring advantage over third-ranked Tufts University in the final three quarters, but the Jumbos led 7-0 after one quarter and held on for a 10-7 NESCAC win Saturday at Seaverns Field at Harold Alfond Stadium.

The Jumbos, also ranked first in New England, improved to 5-0 overall and 2-0 in the NESCAC. The Mules fell to 1-3 and 1-2 in the league.

Colby goalie C.J. Layton stopped 19 shots, including seven in both the first and third quarters. 

Tufts had its lowest scoring output since falling 11-10 against Stevenson last year on March 22. In NESCAC games, Colby held the Jumbos to their lowest total since falling 12-6 to Amherst College on April 18, 2015.

Besides the strong defense and Layton's clutch saves, the Mules did not take a penalty in the game. Meanwhile, Colby went 2-for-6 with the man-up. 

The Jumbos looked like a team that might score 20-plus goals in the first quarter. Tufts had 18 shots, took a 7-0 lead, and forced Layton to make seven saves.

Danny Murphy scored two goals, including one with just three seconds left in the first quarter, and had one assist during the opening period. Ben Connelly finished with one goal and two assists during the run. Michael Mattson, Zach Richman, John Cordrey, and Lucas Johnson also tallied.

The Mules scored the lone two goals in the second quarter to make it 7-2 at intermission. Tucker Dietrick scored with 6:53 remaining and Austin Sayre tallied 39 seconds later.

Colby held the Jumbos without a goal for 29:54 to cut the gap to 7-4. Don Vivian tallied 2:14 into the third quarter and Sayre got his second of three goals on the day with 1:49 remaining.

Holden Rosen Grupp may have saved Tufts with two goals in a span of 1:01 at the end of the third and beginning of the fourth quarters. He scored from Luke Kurtz with just nine seconds left in the third to make it 8-4. Rosen Grupp then scored unassisted just 52 seconds into the fourth quarter for a 9-4 margin.

The Mules, though, refused to give up and scored three straight goals to cut the lead to 9-7 with 7:16 to play. Sayre scored with 12:21 remaining, Don Vivian scored on a blast from Dietrick with 10:13 to play, and Cillian Connor scored on the man-up from Lane Kadish for Colby's final score.

Colby had a chance to cut the lead to one goal after the Jumbos took a slashing penalty with 6:29 to go. However, goalie Robert Treiber picked off a centering pass to get the change of possession. Lucas Johnson scored from John Cordrey with 4:29 remaining for the final goal.

The Mules did have one more chance with the man-up with 2:28 remaining, but could not convert.

Both face-off men had solid days. Tufts' Henry Hollen was 11-for-20 on draws and had nine ground balls. Michael Logan won nine face-offs and had four ground balls for the Mules.

Tyler Olney had a big day defensive day with three caused turnovers and six ground balls for the Jumbos. Tyler Carbone added three caused turnovers and two ground balls, while Connor Landsale had two caused turnovers and one ground ball.

Sean Dougherty led Colby with four caused turnovers and three ground balls. Layton also had two ground balls and caused one turnover.

Ben Shmerler played the opening half and made five saves for Tufts. Treiber played the final 30 minutes and made six stops.